Saturday 6 May 2017

Heroes Inc. Operation: “The Sunless Citadel”

Hello Everyone,

So as I have stated in several posts earlier I’m a Dungeon Master.  As a Dungeon Master I’ve run many a game for my players.  Some quests have been of my own design, some were straight from modules I had purchased, and others were a mix of both.

With D&D 5th Edition currently out there have been quite a few modules released that have been interesting but nothing I had particularly I have wanted to run…until now.

Next month Wizards of the Coast will be releasing a new supplement "Tales from the Yawning Portal".  A compilation of some of the most popular modules ever created for D&D.  Inside of which there are two modules that I am super excited that are being re-released for 5th Edition, The Sunless Citadel and The Forge of Fury.

I ran both of these modules back in 3rd edition and I loved every minute of them.  Some of the best D&D memories come from the trouble my D&D group got into trying to complete them.  Because of this I decided to but some of my Bones miniature to use and get the minis painted up to run the adventure!

First on the list…"The Sunless Citadel"


This was the first module I ever ran. Everything else before it was stuff I made up myself or quests I had taken from Dungeon magazine and completely re-written to suit my world.  As I currently do not have the new supplement, I’m going to use my old module to use as a reference for the miniatures I will need in order to run the campaign.

The Sunless Citadel, and all the modules that came after it, were designed to progress the PC’s from level 1 to level 20.  The Sunless Citadel was the first, designed to take PC’s from level 1 to level 3.  This was followed by my most favourite module ever! The Forge of Fury, designed to take PC’s from level 3 to level 6.

My plan is to run both, using all the various nerdy stuff I have accumulated over the years to do it.  The Sunless Citadel uses many creatures that, while not strong, will always be useful to have painted up and ready to use at a moment’s notice.  My goal right now is to paint the miniatures in order to get through the first part of the quest, basically rooms 1 to 12 in the module.  These will include:

Twig Blights x 3
Dire Rats x 3
Skeletons x 3
Jot (Quasit)
"Dragonpriest" Troll

I have quite a few Bones miniatures from my Kickstarter I can use for most of the creatures in the dungeon.  I also got REALLY lucky and managed to find these bad boys on Ebay:


These D&D minis were released at the beginning of 3rd edition.  Many of the minis were designed for the various quests they released.  In this case ACTUAL Twig Blight minis!  I only managed to get one pack but hopefully I can find three more.

Wish me luck!

-Commodus

No comments:

Post a Comment